Monday, July 28, 2008

I'll meet you at the spikes

From time to time there are little reminders of just how much life has changed since September 11, 2001. Don't get me wrong in what I'm about to say -- I fully place the blame for the events on 19 guys with 99 cent box-cutters.

But still, there are times when it gnaws me just how much our lives have changed because of what we did to ourselves. I hear the phrase "don't let the terrorists" win and I wonder what that means? Do they win if we live scared and make everything a bunker? Because if that's the case, it's too late, they won. From banning sunscreen at Yankee Stadium to toothpaste in carry-on, the signs are troubling.

Here's an example at Oshkosh. This is the old control tower. It's just an old square, but it's one of the signature places here. It's on a hill and it's been the place where people meet. If this place weren't called AirVenture, it'd probably be called I'll Meet You at the Base of the Control Tower.

The thing practically screams "friendly.



What does this scream to you?



This is the base of the new control tower and although you can't see it here on the other side there are tall spikes to prevent you from getting close. "I'll meet you at the spikes?" Nah, it doesn't have the same ring.



It's a pretty unimaginative structure that doesn't scream "friendly," but suggests in a whisper, "we're the government, and we're scared to death of you."

Here's two other examples of the old and new. An old plane, and the new jet (the one from Cirrus)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |