Thursday, September 17, 2009

Builder Profile: Ken Elwood



There goes that nasty anti-aviation media again.

The Plane Building Bug is Airborne in Albany

Ken Elwood's wife says he's a wing nut. He doesn't disagree.

He admits to a fondness for things with wings - specifically airplanes. An aerial gunner in the Navy during World War II, he was bitten by the flying bug when he was just a kid.

"I was hooked on flying after I saw a German dirigible fly overhead," said Elwood, 84. "I guess my wife is right. I've had a pilot's license since I was 21."

He's built five planes, including his Starduster Too, an open-cockpit bi-plane finished in 1971 that he was still flying up to a year ago. The retired teacher and member of the Experimental Aircraft Association even helped his students at South Albany High School build one some years back.


The whole story can be found at DemocratHerald.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |