Wednesday, May 30, 2007

EAA 105 newsletter posted

One of the finest -- if not the finest -- EAA newsletters in the hemisphere (and beyond) is EAA Chapter 105 in Oregon. It's the "home wing" and it's usually RV intensive.

This month's version was posted tonight by Benton Holzwarth, the unsung hero of the RV world as far as I'm concerned. It's got details and NOTAM for the Van's Homecoming, which is moving to Scapoose this year. There's also a write-up of the annual visit to Van's.

Len Kaufman wrote an excellent article on ELTS. The old 121.5 models are being phased out. Now, when I was at the SportAir workshop in January, Dick Koehler said you might as well stay with them since they're cheaper. But now I'm not so sure.

Question that came as I browsed the Yahoogroup tonight. Do all the new fancy glass EFIS units require capacitive fuel senders?

Oh, that reminds me, the RVator arrived at Casa Collins this week. The most interesting item was the RV-12 stall speed. The LSA apparently is apparently stalling higher than the required speed under the light-sport rules. They've tried everything, Ken Scott reported, but nothing has worked so far. So there'll be some redesign of the wing. I'm really interested in the RV-12, although the picture of Ken sitting in it looked like pretty cramped.

It was quite a treat tonight to check Van's Air Force's front page (which I do every night) and see Doug Reeves sending me happy birthday wishes. Yep, May 31 -- 53 years old. I have no idea how it happened. Of course the answer is it happened one year at a time, one week at a time, one day at a time....

I stuck a BBQ update in the VAF forums earlier Wednesday. We're up to about 220 people so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |