Friday, May 14, 2010

I don't know jack

I've taken a couple of days off from work, turned off the radio, shut off the Internet (mostly), and am out at KSGS (South St. Paul, Minnesota) working on N614EF. A week of clouds, cold, and rain have lifted. All sorts of planes -- mostly amphibs -- are flying in an out of here today. Life is good.

At the moment, I'm finishing up the avionics, and working up the courage to flip on the switch on the ICOM A210 communications radio to see if it works, or whether it fries like it did a few weeks ago. Life is exciting.

Here's a jack I've never seen before. Maybe you have.

It's the input jack for music and I'm making this post because at some time in the future, someone installing a PS Engineering 1000II intercom is going to have the same question, and I can update and post the answer here. Hello future, how are things?

The question: This is a mono jack. There are three possible places to solder wires. There are two wires in a shielded cable. Which wire goes to which terminal and which terminal ends up without any wire on it? Life is confusing.

I'll hang up and listen.

1 comment:

  1. Any part number on that jack, Bob? Hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks like the one along the bottom edge (as positioned in the photo) is the sleeve, and the other two are for tip and ring, as the contacts for both appear to protrude into the area where the plug would be when inserted.

    Do you have a spare plug of the sort that would be inserted in this jack? If so, you could plug it in and see what portion of the plug ends up connected to each lug on the jack (or even use a meter if it's not easily visible).

    If it is a TRS jack, you can connect only the tip (+) and sleeve (ground) lugs, to use it as a mono jack.

    This thread at RB might also looks like you have either the "A" or "B" jack from the diagram in post #2.

    Hope that helps?